After a Tuesday that proved pretty positive for most of the prognosticators, it’s on to Wednesday and UEFA Champions League action in Groups A-D.
Hopefully, Wednesday’s matches produce a little more offense. There were two scoreless draws on Tuesday, and the eight matches featured a scant nine goals – with no team netting more than twice (Barcelona, Stuttgart, and Arsenal).
Group C is where most of the attention will be faced Wednesday, as Real Madrid and AC Milan both stand tied for first on 7 points, with Marseille lurking just a point behind, and even FC Zurich not out of it with 3 points. Zurich, however, must go to Madrid, while Milan host Marseille. Wins by the hosts would lock elimination round berths up for both big clubs.
You know the drill: 10 points for the winner and exact score; 5 points for the winner and the right margin of victory; 2 points for just having the winner; as well as 10 points for calling the exact score for a draw; or 5 points for calling a draw and having it hit, but with a different score.
It’s never too late to join in The Run for the Signed Soccer Ball.
The schedule, my picks, and the current standings below.
* Bayern Munich v. Maccabi Haifa (Very cautiously, I’m picking Munich. BAY 1-0)
* Bordeaux v. Juventus (Just a hunch that the visitors are going to rise up here. JUV 2-1)
* CSKA Moscow v. Wolfsburg (Tough place to play, but I’m going to put some faith in Wolfsburg getting a result here. 1-1 DRAW)
* Manchester United v. Besiktas (If we’re going to see some style from United, it might well be in this spot. MUFC 3-1)
* AC Milan v. Marseille (I would love to see Marseille advance out of this group, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. ACM 2-1)
* Real Madrid v. FC Zurich (Madrid win for fun, but forget about defending. RM 6-3)
* Apoel Nicosia v. Atletico Madrid (Tough roadie, but I’ll take the chance. ATL 1-0)
* FC Porto v. Chelsea (Not quite the intrigue any more, huh. CHEL 2-0)
1) 166 – writered21
2) 137 – aaronstollar
3) 109 – RegularGuy
4) 101 – dkstones
5) 65 – nica1004
6) 60 – tomwilhelm
7) 31 – FlashMan
8) 19 – Lowecifer
9) 5 – RandyNA
10) 2 – FFCinPCB